Friday, October 08, 2010

The Joys of Fall--Apple Picking!

I know this is a crazy lot of blog posts in one day, but I don't want to let the time I've got right now go to wasted and I have a lot to catch up on, and with such a busy weekend ahead I needed to get this done now.

Last Sunday we decided to pick apples.  From our backyard! I cannot begin to tell you how exciting that is for me. As a kid I remember taking trips out to the orchards by my cousin's house to pick apples and make applesauce with my grandparents.  Now I get to do this with my own kids. Such a blessing!

 It was time to get the good ones out of the trees before the bugs got them and they rotted.  I hate seeing them go to waste all around town rotted and fallen to the ground.  The majority of the fallen apples I also gathered up to take to a friend's farm for her piggies.



In order to get to the apples in the center top of the trees we sent Austin and Colton up into their branches!



Even Lily got into the game, scaling the ladder and picking everything within reach.


In the end we harvested a large basket full of fuji, golden delicious, and an unknown variety of apples.  And I just had to take a picture of my darling, handsome husband with our bounty!




1 comment:

  1. Yum, apples! I made apple cider for the first time this year. I just cored the apples, chopped them up, and whizzed them in the blender until smooth. Then I pressed the cider through a cloth to catch the puree. So good.

    ReplyDelete